(Livingston, NJ) – May 28, 2010 –With the unofficial start to the summer, many of us will be attending parties and barbeques throughout the season. Below are 10 tips to help avoid weight gain over the summer.
- Watch portion size. Remember a serving of meat is about the size of the palm of your hand or a deck of cards. One cup of potato salad is about the size of a tennis ball.
- Don’t go to the party hungry. Eat a small snack about an hour before the event. Choose items like a piece of fruit and low-fat cheese or a half of a sandwich. Just enough so you are not ravenous when you get to the party.
- Steer clear of the munchies. Pass on the chips, pretzels and peanuts and save your calories for something that you really want.
- Position yourself away from the food so you are not constantly snacking as you socialize.
- Snack on fruits and vegetable and steer clear of the high calorie dips.
- Fill your plate with salads and vegetables before moving onto the grilled meats. Make sure to choose grilled chicken and lean meats instead of high fat items.
- Watch out for salads smothered in dressing. One tablespoon of dressing is about 100 calories. A tablespoon is the equivalent of about your thumb. Choose salads and opt for low fat or light salad dressings.
- Be weary of drinking your calories. Soda and alcoholic beverages are filled with empty calories, particularly high sugary specialty drinks. A 5-ounce serving of dry white wine is about 106 calories. A 12-ounce bottle of beer is about 150 calories and a bottle of light beer is about 100 calories.
- Keep a glass of a low or no calorie beverage in your hand. Sparkling or plain water is a great option and gives you a feeling of being full.
- Have a plan of attack for the dessert table. Don’t focus on depriving yourself, select the healthy items such as fruit first and then if you still want a sweet dessert choose one or two items and have a small serving.
Don’t forget these summertime events are opportunities to socialize with your friends. Make socializing the priority and use these 10 tips to help you get through the barbeque season. Enjoy the summer.
The Weight Loss Institute of New Jersey is available to help members of the community achieve their weight loss goals. Whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 300 pounds, the multi-disciplinary team of physicians, dietitians, nurses, exercise physiologists and psychologists is available to support you on your weight loss journey. The Weight Loss Institute of New Jersey has locations at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Monmouth Medical Center, Clara Maass Medical Center and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. For more information, call 1-888-724-7123.
[ top ] [ back to news index ]